Change the file associations in Windows 10 to make sure that your files are opening within your prefered programs.
When Windows 10 attempts to open any sort of file it will try and do that with a specific default program and this is known as ‘file association’. The most basic examples of this are video files will be opened by Windows Media Player, and images will be opened with Windows Photo viewer by default.
We’re going to show you how to change how to change a file association so you can select which program will open a certain file type by default. Thankfully it’s nice and easy to do.
How to change file associations in Windows 10
There are two ways to go about this. If you’re looking to open up a program quickly, then simply do the following:
- Right click on the file that you wish to open and select ‘Open with,’ from the menu.
- Windows will then show a list of programs that this file can be opened with, simply select your preferred program from this list.
- If you don’t see your preferred program from the list, but know you have it on your computer, then click ‘More Apps,’ and find your preferred app in the expanded list.
You may wish to do this on a larger scale and that is possible through the Windows settings. You can choose specific files to be opened by specific programs across the board by doing the following.
- Search for your Settings in your Windows search bar at the bottom left, and open them up.
- Select the ‘Apps’ option from the list.
- Now select ‘Default apps’ from the column on the left.
- Select ‘Choose default apps by file type.’
You will now be presented with a list of all the file types that Windows 10 supports and the applications they are currently associated with.
- Find the file type that you wish to change the file association for and click the “+” just to its right.
- Select your preferred application from the list that appears and click its corresponding icon.
- If there isn’t an application to select you can download a compatible one, or click “Look for an app in the store,”
Once you’ve selected this, you’re done. Your files will now open with the applications you have selected for them. Simple as that.